Total Cost of Ownership and porting (was FW: Can we have a moment of silence (or several million dollars) . . . please?)

Joel Jaeggli joelja at darkwing.uoregon.edu
Mon Jun 25 19:48:12 PDT 2001

On Mon, 25 Jun 2001, Schilling, Richard wrote:

> Here's to you Greg . . . with all the ranting aside, how much cost will the
> disappearance of the Alpha and subsequent porting of software add to the
> commodity cluster?  This is a very important consideration when we figure up
> total cost of ownership.  I'm sure NASA and others are busy refiguring their
> future projects (if they go out four years).
>
> Any thoughts?  All of our existing hardware, Alpha, Intel, and otherwise
> will become unavailable due to natrual end of life cycles, and porting is
> inevitable.

for me at this point, going back and forth between intel/alpha/sparc all
running linux isn't really that hard. endian issues are what they are, and
everything wants different compiler flags, and gcc may produce somewhat
suboptimal code but I don't imagine that supporting ia64 or "sledgehammer"
once the tools are available will be more than a minor headache...

joelja