diskless clients? beowulf-newbie seeks advice

Pedro Díaz Jiménez pdiaz88 at terra.es
Fri Jun 22 16:01:40 PDT 2001

Hi,

On Friday 22 June 2001 18:56, Brian LaMere wrote:
> couple of follow-up questions....
>
> ********************
> I personally try to advocate diskless clients whenever I get a chance.
> There are several reasons for this:
> 1.	Administration is much easier if you don't have local data or OS or
> anything that won't be fixed by a simple power cycle.  If a problem
> persists through that, you know it's hardware (I guess it could be BIOS
> setup, but I'd consider that hardware).

I agree. OTOH the cluster setup is more complicated IMHO

> ********************
> this is easy enough to automate though...a single shell script that rcp's
> the changed files to all the nodes (for configuration files).  Then I was
> thinking of nfs exporting any applications that are needed...simply install
> them into /usr2, and share out /usr2...wouldn't that handle that?
>
> ********************
> 2.	You do save money on hard disks, but have to spend a little more on
> NICs.  What this does mean though, is that you can put a more advanced
> storage system on the server (or network attached storage).  Putting
> SCSI Raid or such on the server will increase performance and / or
> reliability (I think Gig E is faster than most IDE drives and I know
> Myrinet is, so you should improve total system performance).
> ********************

I partially agree. Your thoughs on memory management?. Swap over Network
would decrease greatly the performance, so in my opinion you are limited to
non-memory-consuming computations

> well, we do use 15k rpm scsi drives, but yeah....ya want to do as few reads
> as possible even then.  Just seems with a potential of there being 100 of
> these nodes, I very well may have to boot one every few days...and that
> would be lots of traffic.  At that point, is it advisable to have a worldly
> node set aside for doing the boot-up?  Hell, I could have everything
> bootstrap off their 100bt ports, then actually work off a gig-ethernet
> port...hmmm...
>
> **************************
> 3.	In theory, you shouldn't be writing to the local disks in a program
> anyway.  This will slow your computations waaaay down.  Same thing for
> swapping to disk.
> 4.	You only have one copy of data, so not only do you save in total
> storage costs (assuming cost/byte is fixed), but you also only have one
> copy of the data so you don't have to worry about inconsistencies
> between nodes (there are other ways to get the hard drives consistent,
> but they are a bit of a pain).  Also, as a sys-admin it is nice to only
> have one place to look if there are problems.
> *************************
> the data would obviously be shared out, yeah.  With a possibility of a
> multi-terabyte database that the cluster is querying in a year, there's no
> way I'd put a terabyte on each node..hehe.  I mean, IBM can say all they
> want about low-end drives being 400gigs in a year or so, but...  point
> being, whether they are diskless or not they'll be pulling in all their
> data locally.  Its just the OS that would be local, and perhaps any
> applications I'd want on each node.
>
> **************************
> 5.	You can call it intuition if you like (although it's based on
> facts),
> but I really think this is the way clusters are going.  This is the way
> that big systems like the Cray T3E work.  It's a lot simpler for
> programmers (It took me a while to explain how to write to local disks
> vs. server disks).  It's also just a lot more elegant, which may sound
> like a cop out, but most good solutions are elegant.

IMHO Cray's are another beasts. Each micro has access to the main memory via
a high-speed bus. Thats not my situation (100Mbps) and probably not the
situation of most beowulfs

> *************************
> Elegancy is certainly not a cop-out in my book.  The more elegant something
> is, the better it works...this is almost always true.

I agree. Having diskless computing nodes focus them as purely computational
nodes, not just some boxen tied to a network

> **********************************
> Having said all that, it is important to note that diskless nodes are
> not for everyone.  In fact our cluster is not diskless, and we aren't
> looking at getting diskless nodes any time soon (give me a few years).
> Right now it doesn't meet our needs since we need the local disk and we
> have our disked cluster working fine.
>
> Hope this helps a little.
> Jared

Just my $0.02