How to mirror a harddisk for backup purpose - options

alvin at Mail.Linux-Consulting.com alvin at Mail.Linux-Consulting.com
Fri Jun 22 13:54:29 PDT 2001

hi robert...

nice script ( simple ) ...

i like it when people post their "scripts" ...
( good to see how people doing their magic )

-- think we lost the orginal question/issue of what the guy from hong kong
   wanted to do ... what kind of copying disk to disk as there are various
   methods ... with advantages and disadvantages to each

have fun
alvin
http://www.Linux-Backup.net .. backup stuff...
http://www.Linux-Sec.net ..... security stuff ...

- dd -- bit-by-bit copying

- tar -- seems some folks use many options ...  i tend to just use "p"
  during extract to keep the original permissions

- rsync -- good for things like  mirroring "redhat" or other directory
  tree and stuff

- raid1 mirroring
	- exact copy ( partitions, directories, files ) of one disk to the
	other ...  ( not inodes, boot records, etc )

- think using  tar | ( rsh  tar ) is too slow... too many login
  sub-processes that it might try to do in between .. donno for sure...

- NFS mounted copying
	mount remote_disk:/backup /mnt/backup
	ssh -par  /foo /mnt/backup
	( ssh or cp or rcp or ...

- so what kind of copying does the guy from hong kong wanna do ???