diskless clients? beowulf-newbie seeks advice

Jared Hodge jared_hodge at iat.utexas.edu
Fri Jun 22 11:35:16 PDT 2001

I personally try to advocate diskless clients whenever I get a chance.
There are several reasons for this:
1.	Administration is much easier if you don't have local data or OS or
anything that won't be fixed by a simple power cycle.  If a problem
persists through that, you know it's hardware (I guess it could be BIOS
setup, but I'd consider that hardware).
2.	You do save money on hard disks, but have to spend a little more on
NICs.  What this does mean though, is that you can put a more advanced
storage system on the server (or network attached storage).  Putting
SCSI Raid or such on the server will increase performance and / or
reliability (I think Gig E is faster than most IDE drives and I know
Myrinet is, so you should improve total system performance).
3.	In theory, you shouldn't be writing to the local disks in a program
anyway.  This will slow your computations waaaay down.  Same thing for
swapping to disk.
4.	You only have one copy of data, so not only do you save in total
storage costs (assuming cost/byte is fixed), but you also only have one
copy of the data so you don't have to worry about inconsistencies
between nodes (there are other ways to get the hard drives consistent,
but they are a bit of a pain).  Also, as a sys-admin it is nice to only
have one place to look if there are problems.
5.	You can call it intuition if you like (although it's based on facts),
but I really think this is the way clusters are going.  This is the way
that big systems like the Cray T3E work.  It's a lot simpler for
programmers (It took me a while to explain how to write to local disks
vs. server disks).  It's also just a lot more elegant, which may sound
like a cop out, but most good solutions are elegant.

Having said all that, it is important to note that diskless nodes are
not for everyone.  In fact our cluster is not diskless, and we aren't
looking at getting diskless nodes any time soon (give me a few years).
Right now it doesn't meet our needs since we need the local disk and we
have our disked cluster working fine.

Hope this helps a little.
Jared