SCE V1.0 Announcement

Thara Angskun g4265087 at ku.ac.th
Thu Jun 21 19:08:22 PDT 2001

Parallel Research Group
Department of Computer Engineering
Faculty of Engineering, Kasetsart University
Bangkok, Thailand.

Pround to Announce the Released of
SCE V1.0 (Scalable Computing Environment)
A truly integrated cluster software environment

What is SCE?
============
One of the problem with the wide adoption of clusters for mainstream high
performance computing is the difficulty in building and managing the system.
There are many efforts in solving this problem by building fully automated,
integrated stack of software distribution from several well known open
source software. The problem is that these set of software comes from many
sources. and never been designed to work together as a truly integrated
system. With the experiences and tools developed to build many clusters in
our site, we decided to build an integrate software tool that is easy to use
for cluster user community. These software tools, called SCE (Scalable
Computing Environment), consists of cluster builder tool, complex system
management tool (SCMS), scalable real-time monitoring, web base monitoring
software(KCAP), parallel unix command, and batch scheduler. These software
run on top of our cluster middleware that provides cluster wide process
control and many services. MPICH are also included. All tools in SCE are
designed to be truly integrated since all of them except MPI and PVM are
built by our group. SCE also provides more than 30 APIs to access system
resources information, control remote process execution, ensemble management
and more. These APIs and the interaction among software components allows
user to extends and enhance SCE in many way. SCE is also designed to be very
easy to use. Most of the installation and configuration are automated by
complete GUI and Web.

SCE Features
============
* Fully aumated installation up to the point that users can run MPI program
on the system.
* The distribution includes\list{Powerful SCMS management tools for
monitoring and managing the cluster
  * KCAP web and VRML interface for cluster monitoring through internet
  * SQMS simple batch scheduling that work right out of the box.
  * Beowulf Builder easy and powerful tools that help you build a diskless
cluster
  * KSIX Cluster middleware that provides a global process space at user
level
  * MPICH fully configured
* Single configuration point for all software, not just a collection of a
bunch of softwares
* No kernel modification, compatible to all beowulf application software
* Support the popular RedHat 7.1 Distribution

How to Download
You may download directly from our website:
http://prg.cpe.ku.ac.th/research/sce/ or http://sourceforge.net/projects/sce
or http://sce.sourceforge.net/