Scyld with diskless

Sean Dilda agrajag at scyld.com
Thu Jun 21 07:59:04 PDT 2001

On Thu, 21 Jun 2001, David Leunen wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I want to install Scyld Beowulf (2.0 Preview Release) on a cluster with
> diskless slaves. Can somebody tell me what configuration I have to do?

the Preview Release is not our newest release and has known problems.  I
recommend you upgrade ot 27bz-7, or wait for the new release which
should be out soon.

> My /etc/beowulf/fstab lokks like this:
>
> /dev/ram3       /       ext2    fs_size=65536   0 0
> none            /proc   proc    defaults        0 0
> none            /dev/pts devpts gid=5,mode=620  0 0
> $MASTER:home    /home   nfs     defaults        0 0

Nothing jumps out as wrong.

> Is that alright? what is the fs_size?

It's the size of the ramdisk

> Do I have to run beofdisk, or just to boot the slaves with boot-disks?

If you don't mind booting from floppies or cds and aren't using the
harddrive, then you don't need to run beofdisk.

> When I boot the slave, It says:

> System boot phase 1
> eth0: 3Com 3c905c Tornado at 0x800, *** INVALID CHECKSUM 0021 ***

Looks like it might be a driver issue.  I had problems with that same
card with the 2.0 preview release, but it worked fine with 27bz-7.

> 00:04:...
> sending RARP requests..
> RARP: 00:04:76:20:00:CF -> 10.0.0.10
> boot: Connecting to 10.0.0.1:1555
>
> Then it gets stuck. What is wrong? In beosetup, I dragged the MAC adress
> to the center panel and clicked "apply".
>
> (Have I misconfigured the network on the master? How can I know what
> ethernet card is the cluster one? I put eth0 for the beowulf ethernet.
> If it was the other I wouldn't see the MAC addresses in beosetup ,...
> no?)

From what info you've given, it looks like you did everything right.
The only problem is needing to upgrade the software.