liquid cooling

Douglas Eadline deadline at plogic.com
Wed Jun 20 06:56:44 PDT 2001

On Mon, 18 Jun 2001, Josip Loncaric wrote:

> Tom's Hardware idea of a water cooled CPU:
>
> http://www4.tomshardware.com/cpu/01q2/010528/index.html
>
> Interesting, although they missed the most obvious benefit of today's
> hot CPUs: waste heat could be used to keep your coffee warm.  Now, if
> only someone would start building P4 systems with built-in coffee
> warmers...

This was my idea 2 years ago. Why not connect the cpu heatsink
to the underside of the top of a tower case. Coffee warmer,
hot plate, etc.  Now if you were really ingenious you could have
liquid lines to heat the water for your coffee go through the
cpu heatsinks to use the heat to make hot water (rgb note: this is not
a liquid cooling method discussion - I'm talk'n coffee). Then you could
have a program called coffee that would crank up your cpus to just the
right brewing temperature, make the coffee and keep it warm on top of the
case.

Ah but I have given away to much. I am off to patent the
"one click coffee maker workstation case"

Doug

> Sincerely,
> Josip
>
> P.S.  Dual use applications will grow.  Combining the traditional and
> the computing meanings of the word 'architect', IBM's Blue Gene
> architects envision an indoor cascading waterfall of chilled water to
> cool their million-processor machine.  IBM'ers will be able to relax
> with the pleasant sound of gurgling water while they compute...

Paralogic, Inc.           |     PEAK     |      Voice:+610.814.2800
130 Webster Street        |   PARALLEL   |        Fax:+610.814.5844
Bethlehem, PA 18015 USA   |  PERFORMANCE |    http://www.plogic.com