newbie requests advice.

Greg Lindahl lindahl at conservativecomputer.com
Tue Jun 19 10:26:32 PDT 2001

On Tue, Jun 19, 2001 at 09:34:56AM -0700, Adam Shand wrote:

> and is the limit with linux 2.4 3gb or 4gb of memory per process.  i've
> had different people say directly conflicting stuff to me in personal
> email from posts to this list (which was my general experience trying to
> figure this out on the web as well).

You can address 4 GB with 32-bit pointers. However, Linux (or any OS)
has to put stuff in particular places in that 4 GB virtual space in
every process -- like shared libraries, signal trampolines, etc -- so
that reduces the actual usable space that a process can use. In some
OSes like VMS, it's cut in half. It was my impression that the scheme
used by Linux on the x86 is fairly efficient.

-- g