RH7.1 portmapper

Brian Haymore brian at chpc.utah.edu
Tue Jun 19 09:08:05 PDT 2001

Georgia Southern Beowulf Cluster Project wrote:

> Hello,
>
> The problems I'm having started a couple days after a fresh kickstart
> install (firewall is also disabled, so its not causing problems).  The
> system worked perfectly fine in a previous kickstart install (also RH 7.1,
> but I needed to do a couple important updates a second time), but it went
> haywire two days after the second install.  It seems that portmap would
> start, then ypserv, ypbind would bind, but claim not to find a yp domain
> server, then a ypinit script (simple and home-cooked) would not be able to
> grab yp maps.  Next the /etc/init.d/nfs scripts would go completely wacky.
> nfsd, mountd, and quotad would all bug out, claiming they could not get a
> request with the RPC portmapper.  In general, rpc services seemed to not be
> able to get a request with portmap.  Well, I went home, had dinner, watched
> cartoons, napped, and came back and viola: Everything worked.  I'm wondering
> if portmap just needs about 5 hours to settle down and act properly.  I
> noticed something similar with ntp as well, though I still can't get it to
> function properly and reliably.  So, to make a drawn out story short, the yp
> and nfs/autofs stuff is functioning now, but I wanted to know if anyone else
> is having such buggy and unpredictable performance.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Wes

The redhat developer site has this logged in their bugzilla system.
developer.redhat.com then link to bugzilla and do a search on ypbind for
7.1 and you will see some good info their detailing the situation.

--
Brian D. Haymore
University of Utah

Email: brian at chpc.utah.edu - Phone: (801) 585-1755 - Fax: (801) 585-5366