RH7.1 portmapper

Brian Haymore brian at chpc.utah.edu
Tue Jun 19 09:08:05 PDT 2001

Georgia Southern Beowulf Cluster Project wrote:
> Hello,
> The problems I'm having started a couple days after a fresh kickstart
> install (firewall is also disabled, so its not causing problems).  The
> system worked perfectly fine in a previous kickstart install (also RH 7.1,
> but I needed to do a couple important updates a second time), but it went
> haywire two days after the second install.  It seems that portmap would
> start, then ypserv, ypbind would bind, but claim not to find a yp domain
> server, then a ypinit script (simple and home-cooked) would not be able to
> grab yp maps.  Next the /etc/init.d/nfs scripts would go completely wacky.
> nfsd, mountd, and quotad would all bug out, claiming they could not get a
> request with the RPC portmapper.  In general, rpc services seemed to not be
> able to get a request with portmap.  Well, I went home, had dinner, watched
> cartoons, napped, and came back and viola: Everything worked.  I'm wondering
> if portmap just needs about 5 hours to settle down and act properly.  I
> noticed something similar with ntp as well, though I still can't get it to
> function properly and reliably.  So, to make a drawn out story short, the yp
> and nfs/autofs stuff is functioning now, but I wanted to know if anyone else
> is having such buggy and unpredictable performance.
> Thanks,
> Wes

The redhat developer site has this logged in their bugzilla system.
developer.redhat.com then link to bugzilla and do a search on ypbind for
7.1 and you will see some good info their detailing the situation.

Brian D. Haymore
University of Utah
Center for High Performance Computing
155 South 1452 East RM 405