newbie requests advice.

Zao Yang zyang at bigbend.ece.ucsb.edu
Mon Jun 18 13:00:13 PDT 2001

we built a linux farm to do verilog simulations at the company I'm working
for. as far as I know, all HDL simulators are single threaded, I don't
know how would beowulf help you. we are using a tool called LSF, from
Platform Computing I think, which can monitor all the machines in our
server farm and automatically dispatch simulation jobs to one of them when
the job queues, server load, memory and other constraints are met. for
nightly regressions, we just use cron to kick off a script to submit all
jobs to LSF queues.

also, the LSF allows you to configure certain servers to be available to
the accept jobs during some specific time. this way, we can use our
desktop machines to do normal developement work during day time, and at
night time, our desktop machines are placed back to the LSF server pool to
run nightly regression.

our experience shows that the limitation on 3GB memory is only problematic
if you are running gate level simulation of a very large asic. but, in
that case, you would have the same problem with any 32bit processor
anyways.

// zao