IDE Seek Errors after kernel upgrade

Randy E. rrrandco at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 18 01:55:21 PDT 2001

I've been catching up on the beowulf list digests
dated from February (I still have over 100 to go)
and found that I should upgrade the 2.2.17 kernel
to 2.2.19 to fix user level root exploit hole.

When I did I started getting these IDE errors (x4)
during the bootup time on a very new IDE harddrive
that I carefully checked with badblocks and had
no errors before the kernel upgrade:

kernel: hdc: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
kernel: hdc: dma_intr: error=0x84 { DriveStatusError BadCRC }

Someone on the list wrote (sorry I lost the name):
We are mostly troubled by SeekComplete errors,
although I've also seen other error types:

kernel: hda: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
kernel: hda: dma_intr: error=0x84 { DriveStatusError BadCRC } kernel:
hda: read_intr: status=0x5b { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest Index
Error }

It is possible that SeekComplete errors are due to some difficulty that
the drive has in tracking the servo signal in a few spots.  Not
accessing those spots gets around the problem.

This would explain my problem.  Should I worry about it?
I don't know the way around it, other than to upgrade
to a 2.4 kernel?  I would like it to use DMA still.

Thanks Everyone!
Randy E.