PVM with a Scyld cluster

Robert Sand rsand at d.umn.edu
Fri Jun 15 07:51:59 PDT 2001

keith.mcdonald-fct at btinternet.com wrote:

> Robert Sands wrote:
>
> I have a customer that is more familiar with using pvm rather
> than mpi so I need
> some instructions on how to get pvm working with the SCYLD
> cluster.  Is there
> anyone out there using pvm on a scyld cluster and if so can I get
> instructions
> to get pvm to work with the cluster?
>
> I found one way to run PVM.
>
> On the Master, edit the inetd.conf and uncomment the rshd and
> rlogin parts.
> Issue
> a 'killall -HUP inetd.conf' to re-read the file.
>
> Prepare a suitable /etc/exports file to allow the nodes to have
> nfs access.
> You
> will need to stop and restart nfs to re-read the new exports
> file.
>
> Prepare a suitable .rhosts file in $HOME to rsh without a
> password.
>
> The following commands should then be run:
>
> bpsh <n> hostname <hostname> for each of your nodes. I do this
> for
> friendliness though it is not necessary. You will need a suitable
> /etc/hosts
> file if
> you use this method.
>
> Mount the following:
>
> bpsh -a mount -t nfs -n 192.168.1.1:/home /home (if not mounted
> already)
> bpsh -a mount -t nfs -n 192.168.1.1:/etc /etc
> bpsh -a mount -t nfs -n 192.168.1.1:/bin /bin
> bpsh -a mount -t nfs -n 192.168.1.1:/usr /usr
> bpsh -a mount -t nfs -n 192.168.1.1:/lib /lib
>
> The -n flag stops any problems with mtab.
>
> Run bpsh -a /usr/sbin/inetd
>
> Start a pvm session on the master and then add your nodes by
> hostname. Once
> done,
> check pvm>conf to see that all is in order.
>
> This is very much the long way round and should really be
> scripted!
>
> I hope that this helps,
>
> Keith McDonald

This would be nice but for some reason the image copied to the hdd on
the nodes is so small that when I try to mount /bin from the master I
get:

# bpsh 0 mount -t nsf -n 192.168.1.10:/bin /bin
mount: fs type nsf not supported by kernel

any suggestions on how to get more than just the minimal stuff onto the
disks?

--
Robert Sand.
mailto:rsand at d.umn.edu
University of Minnesota, Duluth
144 MWAH
218-726-6122        fax 218-726-7674

"Walk behind me I may not lead, Walk in front of me I may not follow,
 Walk beside me and we walk together"  UTE Tribal proverb.