Sun Sparc

Tim Carlson tim.carlson at pnl.gov
Tue Jun 12 08:17:20 PDT 2001

On Tue, 12 Jun 2001, Chris Snow wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Jun 2001, clpoh wrote:
>
> > I will start a project to configure a 4 node Ultrasparc cluster
> > for benchmarking using pvmpov and NPB2.3, however this is the first time
> > ever for me to even using a 64 bit machines. That's why I'm wondering
> > how much and where are the differences while install PVM and MPI on
> > Ultrasparc machines pls tell.Thank you.
>

> I'm assuming these machines are running Solaris, not linux...
>
> You should try and get GCC and GNU make for the machines. Using the Sun

If you want to use the 64 bit architecture of the Ultra Sparc chip, you
*DO NOT* want to use gcc. gcc does not compile 64 bit code for Sparc.Not
to get into a holy war or anything, but if you want your code to run fast
on Sparc hardware, use (if you have a license for) the Sun compiler.

Tim

Tim Carlson
Voice: (509) 375-5978
Email: Tim.Carlson at pnl.gov