Some newbie questions

JParker at coinstar.com JParker at coinstar.com
Fri Jun 8 13:47:30 PDT 2001

G'Day !

Actually the answer is more of a "it all depends"

Beowulfs are a optimized cluster of dedicated computer
servers/workstations that utilize message passing to perform parallel
computations.  Variations of the theme include non-dedicated workstations
networked together for parallel computations or a NOW/COW.

Now the most common message passing interface is either PVM or MPI.  Both
of which I believe has been ported to Macs and OS's other than Linux. (do
a google search).

However in a true Beowulf software hase been written for job control and
cluster management that may not be available for your particular cluster
design.

So the short answer is that you can probably build a cluster using your
hardware to perform parallel computations, but it will be not be a
Beowulf.

cheers,
Jim Parker

Sailboat racing is not a matter of life and death ....  It is far more
important than that !!!

"Stephen Gaudet" <steve-gaudet at mediaone.net>
Sent by: beowulf-admin at beowulf.org
06/08/01 11:01 AM