dual/quadruple ports on a NICs

Horatio B. Bogbindero wyy at cersa.admu.edu.ph
Thu Jun 7 17:11:40 PDT 2001

thanks to all that replied. and thanks martin for the link to the
benchmarks. i just need one more thing. someone posted the possible PCI
bottleneck that could ensue due to multiple NICs on a motherboard. might
it saturate the PCI bus. someone posted the computation before. i am still
looking for it.

the archvives in the beowulf site seem to miss the march 2001 postings and
a good number of feb postings. anyway, thanks.

On Thu, 7 Jun 2001, Martin Siegert wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 07, 2001 at 05:16:25PM +0800, Horatio B. Bogbindero wrote:
> >
> > there are a good number of products out there that have two or more ports
> > on a single NIC. what about performance? i remember someone posting about
> > it while back during a discussion about FNN which i participated in. i do
> > not recall when that post was and the list archives return a large amount
> > of results. i think is was rgb who posted a long a comprehensive response
> > to it.
> >
> > can someone either point to me the particular post or the website of the
> > mailing list archives. i use google to look through beouwulf posting which
> > is not exactly the best way. thanks.
>
> I have done tests with the Dlink DFE570Tx quad card and with the dual port
> Intel Pro card. Results are included on my web page at
> http://www.sfu.ca/acs/cluster/nic-test.html
> My impression is that dual/quad card works no better than two/four single
> cards of the same vendor at least when you are interested in channel bonding.
> The dual/quad cards are just more expensive.
>
> Martin

> Martin Siegert
> Academic Computing Services                        phone: (604) 291-4691
> Simon Fraser University                            fax:   (604) 291-4242
> Burnaby, British Columbia                          email: siegert at sfu.ca
> Canada  V5A 1S6

William Emmanuel S. Yu
Ateneo Cervini-Eliazo Networks (ACENT)