dual/quadruple ports on a NICs

Martin Siegert siegert at sfu.ca
Thu Jun 7 12:19:36 PDT 2001

On Thu, Jun 07, 2001 at 05:16:25PM +0800, Horatio B. Bogbindero wrote:

> there are a good number of products out there that have two or more ports
> on a single NIC. what about performance? i remember someone posting about
> it while back during a discussion about FNN which i participated in. i do
> not recall when that post was and the list archives return a large amount
> of results. i think is was rgb who posted a long a comprehensive response
> to it.
>
> can someone either point to me the particular post or the website of the
> mailing list archives. i use google to look through beouwulf posting which
> is not exactly the best way. thanks.

I have done tests with the Dlink DFE570Tx quad card and with the dual port
Intel Pro card. Results are included on my web page at
http://www.sfu.ca/acs/cluster/nic-test.html
My impression is that dual/quad card works no better than two/four single
cards of the same vendor at least when you are interested in channel bonding.
The dual/quad cards are just more expensive.

Martin

Martin Siegert
Academic Computing Services                        phone: (604) 291-4691
Simon Fraser University                            fax:   (604) 291-4242
Burnaby, British Columbia                          email: siegert at sfu.ca
Canada  V5A 1S6