Intel is finally shipping the 64-bit Itanium

Bari Ari bari at onelabs.com
Tue Jun 5 11:51:12 PDT 2001

Jeff Layton wrote:

> Bari Ari wrote:
>

>> Mark Hahn wrote:
>>

>>> I can't imagine Itanium being a mass-market item for years, if ever.
>>> and I pledge allegiance to the Orthodox Church of Beowulf, which
>>> holds that if it's not mass-market, it's not cluster-Kosher ;)
>>>

>> The AMD Sledge/Hammer series will also be nice for clusters whenever
>> they finally make it to market. Hopefully there will be some nice
>> chipset support to go along with them. For the time being Mips has the
>> price performance edge since nobody has taken the ARM 10 to market yet
>> and Intel yanked the FPU out of the XScale before they released it.
>>
>> It's great to see Beowulf clusters offering similar performance to
>> traditional supercomputers for coarse grained applications and even some
>> fine grained for a fraction of the cost, but X86 with OTS motherboards
>> will also always be a kludge. X86 has 20 years of baggage for legacy
>> support and also produce enormous amounts of heat as compared to RISC.
>>
>> Low cost RISC clusters will outperform any x86 mass-market OTS clusters.
>> RISC offers lower cost, smaller footprint, far less heat along with
>> higher fixed and floating point performance.
>

> Grasshopper. You forget the wonders of commodity components.
> This wonder is what has driven the Beowulf "revolution." There are
> many arenas where x86 performs very well. Several billion chips
> versus a few hundred thousand allow many great things to develop.
> Couple this, grasshopper, with Open-Source OS, compilers, message
> passing, queuing systems, and many dedicated people and you have
> the Beowulf revolution.

We have managed to find RISC SOCs that beat the pricing and performance
of commodity x86 coupled with all the open source OS, compilers and all
the fun internetworking support. Maybe the old men here just looked harder?

Grasshopper: "Why is it you hear these things?"

Old Man: "Why is it, you do not?"