Root-NFS

Sean Dilda agrajag at scyld.com
Tue Jun 5 07:24:40 PDT 2001

On Tue, 05 Jun 2001, LUK ShunTim wrote:

> Sean Dilda wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, 04 Jun 2001, d.bussenschutt at mailbox.gu.edu.au wrote:
> >
> > > Also How do others boot their diskless clients?
> > > Can anyone advise how Scyld does?
> > > I saw someone reference something like "/dev/ram3" is this referencing a
> > > ramdisk to boot from?
> >
> > We have moved away from nfs root.  Instead we have a setup that requires
> > a very minimum install on the slave nodes (under 10M on our test
> > cluster), so we have it setup so that you can just use a ramdisk on the
> > slave node and we copy over everything we need when the slave nodes
> > boot.  We also have things setup so that you can just setup the
> > harddrive on the slave nodes and don't have to recreate the filesystem
> > on every boot if you don't want to.
>
> A related question.
> I am interested to know what files are put up on the ramdisk.
> Is there any documentation on this?

/dev is copied over.
There's also an /etc/ld.so.cache, /etc/localtime, /etc/mtab,
/etc/nsswitch.conf, and /lib/libnss_bproc.so.2

A /tmp and /scratch are also made, plus any mount points that are
specified in the fstab for the node.
And finally, any libraries mentioned in /etc/beowulf/config are copied
over.