Heat pipes? - copper

Bari Ari bari at onelabs.com
Mon Jun 4 21:06:30 PDT 2001

alvin at Mail.Linux-Consulting.com wrote:

>> Copper is a better conductor of heat than aluminum and a bit pricier...
>> why not just add more surface area to your aluminum heat sinks or
>> increase the amount of forced convection across the surface for the same
>> effect at lower cost?
>

> extruded aluminum is terrible heat conductor but very cheap to make
> and good enough for slower p3-cpu

Terrible? 100W/mK - 150W/mK is terrible?

> an aluminum block that is cut is "lot better" heat conductor as its
> molecules are relatively intact ... according to those heatsink
> manufacturers .. just a few cents more to cut than to extrude ...
> but when making millions of heatsinks units...guess it adds up...

Increasing the surface area of a heatsink or increasing the amount of
forced convection across the surface area is how the thermal resistance
of a heatsink is reduced.

>> The least expensive approach to cooling P4s and Athlons in 1Us is by
>> just using aluminum extrusions for heat sinks that form the top of the
>> enclosures and using forced convection across the the units. We're using
>> some profiles now that are only 0.08 - 0.11 degC/W at 100 CFM. These
>> would allow the use of a P4 in an ambient of up to 68 deg C.... but I
>> wouldn't want to be in that room :-)
>

> isnt 68deg still on the high side ??? ....

The 68 deg C ambient is the air temperature of the environment that the
CPU is in. Using a heat sink with a thermal resistance of 0.08 - 0.11
degC/W allows us to keep the P4 case temp below the 75 deg C maximum
spec. at an ambient air temp of up to 68 deg C. So there is only a 7 deg
C rise above ambient.

> some of ofour cpu temp measurements was around 30-35 range...hitting
> up to  40 or so when runnign heavy loads during the day...
> 	- the bigger the heatsink got... the hotter the cpu ran too
> 	cause the itty bitty fans was not good enough ...

A bigger heatsink doesn't always mean better. Surface area and the the
profile is what counts.

What was your ambient air temp for these mesurements? 20 deg C? -10C? At
an average room temp of 20 deg C the CPU case temp would only rise to 27
deg C while running at the full 62W max. continuously with the heatsink
I mentioned above.

Bari