Heat pipes?

Bari Ari bari at onelabs.com
Mon Jun 4 19:50:19 PDT 2001

Eddie Lehman wrote:

> Part of the reason that you can't find it may be your spelling of it. I
> couldn't remember the spelling either and had to work it back and forth a
> bit. You should be able to still get it and I think the price is around $500
> a gallon.
>
> Here is the 3M page for it:
>
> http://www.3m.com/market/industrial/fluids/library/prodinfo/FC77.html
>
> The general page for the heat transfer fluid is at:
>
> http://www.3m.com/market/industrial/fluids/refheat/florliqu.html
>
> Hope that helps...
>
>> I've always been fond of the way Cray's did it.
>> Take the entire rack and submerge it in florinert (SP).

Fluorinert liquids just move the heat around same as a heat pipes, heat
sinks and Peltier coolers, only the Fluorinert used this way covers the
entire surface area of what you are trying to cool. You still have to
remove the heat from the Fluorinert after it carries it away from the
component surface plus have it all in a liquid tight enclosure.

>> I've also thought of running our chilled water lines through
>> a rack mounted radiator with fans.
>>
>> Patrick
>>
>> On Mon, 4 Jun 2001 alvin at Mail.Linux-Consulting.com wrote:
>>

>>> hi ya
>>>
>>> am thinking of solving cpu heat problems too...
>>> for p4 and amd in 1Us..
>>> - add copper to the base of the aluminum heatsink ...

Copper is a better conductor of heat than aluminum and a bit pricier...
why not just add more surface area to your aluminum heat sinks or
increase the amount of forced convection across the surface for the same
effect at lower cost?

>>> - get a liquid cooled heatsink - copper pipes with antifreeze
>>> ( like a radiator ) --  seems like a fun project
>>>
>>> - heat pipes are expensive ?? ..as is peltier cooling

The least expensive approach to cooling P4s and Athlons in 1Us is by
just using aluminum extrusions for heat sinks that form the top of the
enclosures and using forced convection across the the units. We're using
some profiles now that are only 0.08 - 0.11 degC/W at 100 CFM. These
would allow the use of a P4 in an ambient of up to 68 deg C.... but I
wouldn't want to be in that room :-)

>>> c ya
>>> alvin
>>> http://www.Linux-1U.net

We have been using them for years and they work great at moving heat
from the surface of a processor inside an enclosure with minimal airflow
to an area outside the enclosure with plenty of natural or forced
convection. You'll find that many laptops use heat pipes for heat
transfer from the cpu to the rear of the enclosure.

Bari