Root-NFS

Sean Dilda agrajag at scyld.com
Mon Jun 4 08:06:07 PDT 2001

On Mon, 04 Jun 2001, d.bussenschutt at mailbox.gu.edu.au wrote:

> Also How do others boot their diskless clients?
> Can anyone advise how Scyld does?
> I saw someone reference something like "/dev/ram3" is this referencing a
> ramdisk to boot from?

We have moved away from nfs root.  Instead we have a setup that requires
a very minimum install on the slave nodes (under 10M on our test
cluster), so we have it setup so that you can just use a ramdisk on the
slave node and we copy over everything we need when the slave nodes
boot.  We also have things setup so that you can just setup the
harddrive on the slave nodes and don't have to recreate the filesystem
on every boot if you don't want to.