Scyld module configuration

Sean Dilda agrajag at
Fri Jul 13 15:00:25 PDT 2001

On Fri, 13 Jul 2001, Ben DeLong wrote:

> Greetings,
> A couple of weeks ago I posted a question regarding a specific 3Com
> network card that wouldn't detect 100Mb/sec with the 2.2.x linux kernel
> (Mandrake 7.2) and instead only ran at 10Mb/sec.  I was able to fix the
> problem by passing an option to the 3c59x module when it was loaded.
>  Specifically I added the line "options eth0 options=8,8" to the
> module.conf file.
> Yesterday I got around to installing Scyld on our 4 node cluster and
> bumped into the same problem - all the cards were running at 10Mb after
> install.  On the head node the problem was easy enough to fix by adding
> the options line to the conf.modules file on the head.  My question is
> how do I pass this parameter on the slave nodes?  I have looked through
> all the documentation I have and I can't find an answer.

In the /etc/beowulf/config.boot file you can add the line:
modarg 3c59x options=8,8

Then remake your phase1 and phase2 images and it should do what you
want.  This should be documented in the reference guide, available at

By the way, what version of our software are you running?  I ran into a
problem with a 3com card not detecing 100M in our preview release, but
the updated drivers in the 27bz-7 release worked without a problem.