Channel-bonding - choice of switch?

Jeff Largent jlargent at
Thu Jul 12 08:29:38 PDT 2001

Josip Loncaric wrote:
> Jakob Østergaard wrote:
> >
> > You can buy separate switches, unmanaged dirt cheap ones.
> Sounds reasonable, and if we did use channel bonding, that's what we'd
> do.  This "separate switches" solution results in two identical but
> physicaly separate LANs, which means that you also need a bridge machine

Don't you have this anyway?
lan--gateway--beowulf cluster
       bridge machine

It's my understanding that channel bonding is an all or none
situation.  You can't have a nonbonded workstation going to one
of the vlans, and then use that workstation to talk to the bonded
cluster nodes.  You lose half a your packets coming back from the
bonded node, so those are retransmitted and half of those are lost
and so on, until eventually you will get all the packets but with
many many retranmissions.