Cluster Applications

JParker at coinstar.com JParker at coinstar.com
Wed Jan 24 10:31:28 PST 2001

G'Day !

This is what I wrote to someone on a different mail list, but is relevent
to your question ....

The best sources of information is of course the net.  I would start with
the HOWTOs.  The following give a good general knowledge of the subject.

1)  Beowulf-HOWTO
2)  Parallel-Processing-HOWTO
3)  SMP-HOWTO

The NFS-HOWTO and the NIS-HOWTO are also very useful.

In a Beowulf cluster, parallel processing is done by message passing,
instead of shared memory in a SMP (symetric multi-processing) systems. The
2 most popular message passing systems are PVM (http://www.epm.ornl.gov/pvm/pvm_home.html) and MIPS (http://www-unix.mcs.anl.gov/mpi/).  PVM is older so the code base is larger.  MIPS until recently, was
forked into several competing versions, and much newer.  Most observers
believe MIPS will eventually replace PVM as the defacto standard, as a new
standard has been written.  Porting of PVM code to MIPS is also reportedly
trivial.

My code is in the planning/design stage currently.  My 3D modeler is
currently being coded, but is taking significantly longer than
anticipated.  I am also currently obtaining new hardware to build a new 5
node cluster.  So my parallel code ....

Here is some advice I got from the GTK+ mailing list:

Dani Mezher:

"I did the same to build the frontend of an MPI parallel code. The
frontend I built is a stand alone process that uses a TCP/IP socket to
connect to
the server node; this works just fine."

Slyder:

"Well, I'd keep it a modular system. Have a piece that handles the input
(modelling, and a piece that does the PVM [CFD/FE/FDTD/etc] processing.
Mayvbe a thread to handle execution of the solver. I'm actually working
on something similar, though I'm about to do a rewrite, so my code may
or may not be of much use..."

Hope this helps.

cheers,
Jim Parker

Sailboat racing is not a matter of life and death ....  It is far more
important than that !!!

Shain Miley <jubbi2g at yahoo.com>
Sent by: beowulf-admin at beowulf.org
01/24/01 09:45 AM