Beowulf I/O Errors

Robert Sand rsand at d.umn.edu
Wed Jan 17 04:58:47 PST 2001

Hello,

I think it is about time that Daniel changed the instructions on the web page.
Here are the instructions you'll need to follow. First you'll have to change the
/etc/beowulf/fstab file to look like this:

/dev/ram3       /       ext2    fs_size=65536   0       0
#/dev/hda1      beoboot         ext2    defaults        0 0
#/dev/hda2       swap            swap    defaults        0 0
#/dev/hda3       /               ext2    defaults        0 0
#none            /proc           proc    defaults        0 0
#none            /dev/pts        devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
#$MASTER:/home   /home           nfs     defaults        0 0

Then you'll need to boot off of the floppy and do the beofdisk, reboot,
beoboot-install.  Before you reboot the last time you'll need to edit your fstab
file again so it looks similar to this:

#/dev/ram3       /       ext2    fs_size=65536   0       0
#/dev/hda1      beoboot         ext2    defaults        0 0
/dev/hda2       swap            swap    defaults        0 0
/dev/hda3       /               ext2    defaults        0 0
none            /proc           proc    defaults        0 0
none            /dev/pts        devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
$MASTER:/home   /home           nfs     defaults        0 0

Then reboot.  I've found that the last node in the cluster always has a problem
booting.  Just givem it some time and it will finally boot.