D-Link switch and ecc-memory.

Josip Loncaric josip at icase.edu
Tue Jan 16 07:26:27 PST 2001

Jon Tegner wrote:

> I also have an completely unrelated question, would there be any problem
> to use ecc-memory with Athlons? And how big is the risk of getting
> memory related errors (for example, we haven't used ecc-memory on our
> system, is it "stupid" not to use ecc-memory)?

My best estimate is that our system corrects one single bit error (SBE)
per week in 37.5 GB of ECC memory.  This translates into SBE event
intervals of about 9 months per GB of RAM.  Your mileage may vary...

Sincerely,
Josip

--
Dr. Josip Loncaric, Senior Staff Scientist        mailto:josip at icase.edu
ICASE, Mail Stop 132C           PGP key at http://www.icase.edu./~josip/
NASA Langley Research Center             mailto:j.loncaric at larc.nasa.gov
Hampton, VA 23681-2199, USA    Tel. +1 757 864-2192  Fax +1 757 864-6134