[Fwd: IP: Fact Sheet on Export Controls on High Performance Computers]

Walter B. Ligon III walt at parl.ces.clemson.edu
Fri Jan 12 12:32:25 PST 2001

--------
> > I would love it if someone who is knowledgeable in this area could build a
> > description of what software IS and IS NOT export controlled.
>
> I must say I'm not knowledgeable in this area, but it is my impression that
> it's an extremely specific set of software, and you don't have to ask
> yourself "is this new system software I just wrote export controlled because
> you might be able to use it to build a Beowulf and design nuclear missiles?"

Yeah, I think you're right on that.  My concern is that there are a bunch of
Defense Intelligence types going around the country saying that anything that
might have to do with high performance computing might be export controlled
and needs to be audited before foreign nationals are allowed access to it.  I'm
not talking exports, I mean within our universities!  The problem is these guys
don't understand the differences being pointed out here.  I've already had
NASA grant money held up on this and I foresee more of it.

I would like to be better equipped to deal with these guys by knowing more
about these regs and how they are interpreted.  I was kindof hoping that
someone in our group might know more about it and make that info available
to us to help keep our work FREE!

Walt

--
Dr. Walter B. Ligon III