diskless Scyld or OSCAR beowulf setup?

Dave Alden alden at math.ohio-state.edu
Wed Feb 28 10:47:06 PST 2001

Hi,

On Wed, Feb 28, 2001 at 01:24:44PM -0500, Greg Lindahl wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 28, 2001 at 03:33:52PM +0000, Dave Alden wrote:
>
> > Is it possible to use the Scyld or OSCAR solutions in a diskless environment
> > and I mean diskless -- no floppy, cdrom or hard drive.  :-)
>
> Not exactly and no.
>
> OSCAR requires a real harddisk.
>
> Scyld requires either a network card that can boot, or some other
> means of booting: disk on chip, CD-ROM, floppy. Odds are your
> el-cheapo network card doesn't have PXE, but you can look.

I'm using Etherboot with the cards.  I bought EPROMS for the cards that
tell the cards to tftp the boot image from my server.  The boot image
loads the kernel and nfs mounts the FS.  I've got this working quite
well, and I even have the 64 nodes up and running.  It's just that this
is a mostly homegrown setup and I'd rather install a "supported" setup.  :-)

Do the Scyld doc's talk about diskless configurations?

...thnx,
...dave alden