WinNT/Linux hybrids?

Daniel Ridge newt at scyld.com
Tue Feb 27 11:38:10 PST 2001

Martin,

> Dan,
>
> This is an interesting idea. Have you ever tried it? If I have an
> application that runs on a cluster of NT machines, do you think I could run
> it this way (ie running vmware on all the nodes) without making any changes?

I have run Windows under linux in VMware -- but I have never tried to do
clustering this way.

We have added some code to our release to facilitate instances of VMware
on Scyld slave nodes -- but it looked like it was going to take a small
patch from VMware to make this work on our system. VMware said they would
incorporate the patch into their commercial product, but I have simply not
had a chance to grab VMware's latest product and see if it works.

What I was proposing in my mail was the reverse case -- Windows boxes that
run Scyld in VMware.

If you have an interest in this area, you might also look at Plex86. I
don't know what the state of their open source emulator project is.

Regards,
	Dan Ridge
	Scyld Computing Corporation