Interconnect Diagrams

Jim Lux James.P.Lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Wed Feb 21 15:39:10 PST 2001

If it is that coarsely grained, why not just use  1 NIC in each machine
hooked up as a standard shared media Ethernet (i.e. using Coax T's)?  Or do
you need the network bandwidth from node to node, in which case multiple
NICs starts to make sense ( I assume NICs and cabling are free?).  Then,
you'd want to use one of the schemes used with 10BaseT hubs (as opposed to
switches) which is conceptually the same as a multidrop coax configuration.

As for DHCP.... It sounds like a nightmare to debug.. is there a good reason
not to use static IPs assigned in a regular pattern, making building the
routing tables somewhat easier?