Computer Shelves (RF EMI/EMC issue)

Schilling, Richard RSchilling at affiliatedhealth.org
Tue Feb 20 11:44:43 PST 2001

During college, I lived in a trailer, and had my CPU next to the water
heater.  Some times it would turn on, others not.  Eventually found out that
when the water heater turned on, the EMR would not let the computer work.
That was really confusing until I figured it out.  Also, the radio, when
plugged into the wall would howl like Robert said.

So be careful of putting CPUs next to other equipment, including circuit
breakers.  They could disrupt the machines.

Richard Schilling

http://www.phy.duke.edu/~rgb/
Duke University Dept. of Physics, Box 90305
Durham, N.C. 27708-0305
Phone: 1-919-660-2567  Fax: 919-660-2525     email:rgb at phy.duke.edu