Athlon vs. PIII

Patrick Geoffray patrick at myri.com
Tue Feb 20 10:11:27 PST 2001

Luc Vereecken wrote:

> As far as my G98 tests go, running the -tp p6 version on an athlon is about
> as fast as the -tp athlon. Same for the the -Mvect=prefetch flag.  I never
> managed to get Atlas compiled into G98 ? I use the pgf blas/lapack now due
> to compilation problems and lack of time to look into it.

Hi Luc,

the Blas library in LAPACK is a reference implementation.
It is not optimized and sucks big time : it's just a model of the
functions performed by the library. The performance of ATLAS is
much (MUCH) better.

I would advise you to find the time to look into it :-))

Cheers.

--
Patrick Geoffray

|      Myricom Inc       |  University of Tennessee - CS Dept |
| 325 N Santa Anita Ave. |   Suite 203, 1122 Volunteer Blvd.  |
|   Arcadia, CA 91006    |      Knoxville, TN 37996-3450      |
|     (626) 821-5555     |      Tel/Fax : (865) 974-0482      |