PBS/Scyld. Re: queue system on Scyld (Thomas Clausen)

Greg Lindahl lindahl at conservativecomputer.com
Mon Feb 19 23:20:01 PST 2001

On Tue, Feb 20, 2001 at 06:07:40AM +0100, nashif at suse.de wrote:

> Personally I dont think that is the right approach to modify all existing
> beowulf software available to work with one single system. If the software
> is there, that's fine but what about all the other good stuff out there?
> What if I use LSF? Or Codine which is freely available from sun and should
> be released as open source soon? What about DQS, NQS etc. etc.?

System designers have to make choices. You can't run LSF and PBS at
the same time on a single cluster and have them transparently and
dynamically share resources.  If you wanted to run a different batch
system on my production cluster at FSL, then the reliability features
I've integrated with PBS wouldn't work anymore.

You can only be so flexible if you want to deliver innovative
features. The Scyld guys have made a reasonable choice.

-- g