Microsoft Releases Computational Cluster Technical Preview To olkit

John Casu casuj at valinux.com
Thu Feb 15 22:59:34 PST 2001

> On Tue, 13 Feb 2001, Mattson, Timothy G wrote:
>
> > Richard,
> >
> > Please try not to be so negative.  I was involved with producing the
> > "microsoft clustering solution", and I assure you, its much more than you
> > suggested.
>

> So far the only advantage mentioned
> is the faster C compilers available
> in the MS cluster.

there is one other advantage windows has over Linux, and that is the availability of
real life commercial applications.

Now most of us on this mailing list roll our own apps, but it's pretty clear that
if you wanted to build a compute farm for running renders from 3D StudioMax or Maya,
or you wanted to run a bunch of optimization cases in Pro/Mechanica or Cadence then,
for the most part, Linux isn't a real option.

This advantage is the one we have to deal with, since it trumps all the others.
You can bet your ass that Microsoft understands this profoundly, and will beat us over
the head with it.

john.