Microsoft Releases Computational Cluster Technical Preview Toolkit

Jim Phillips jim at ks.uiuc.edu
Wed Feb 14 08:12:52 PST 2001

On Wed, 14 Feb 2001 nashif at suse.de wrote:

> Fact is that a windows cluster is in the TOP500 List. But it's the only
> one among 500 Supercomputers. (and microsoft seems to be proud about
> it: http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/hpc/perform.asp).

Yup.  The NCSA NT Supercluster is on the list at 413 with an Rmax of
62.59 and 256 CPUs.  Of course if you look at NCSA's page on the cluster
(http://www.ncsa.uiuc.edu/SCD/Hardware/NTCluster/TechSummary) it now has
only 192 CPUs, which drops it off the bottom of TOP500.  I wonder what
happened to the other 128 CPUs?

Meanwhile, NCSA is hosting a conference on the "Linux Revolution" in HPC
(http://www.ncsa.uiuc.edu/LinuxRevolution/).  Hmmm.

-Jim