IDE-SCSI RAID units

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Mon Feb 12 04:52:30 PST 2001

On Sun, 11 Feb 2001, Greg Lindahl wrote:

> Another manufacturer is http://3ware.com/, but again you have to buy
> through a reseller. 3ware is very Linux friendly and provides a GPLed
> driver. It *looks* like a SCSI disk in software, but you can do RAID
> 0, 1, and 1+0. Performance approaches 100 MB/s. But the best part is
> that the expensive 8-disk unit is only $400 for the card.

I put this (and the other suggestions I received) on the brahma page:

  http://www.phy.duke.edu/brahma

I'm sure that there are more "interesting" solutions like this out there
-- I'd suggest a few quiet minutes with a web browser if you are in the
market for big, cheap, fast storage.  It sounds like one can find
anything from hardware-supported mirroring to hot swap drive arrays
built on top of cheap (but currently very fast) UDMA disks.

   rgb

Duke University Dept. of Physics, Box 90305
Durham, N.C. 27708-0305
Phone: 1-919-660-2567  Fax: 919-660-2525     email:rgb at phy.duke.edu