Terrible disk i/o on Compaq DS10L

Cabaniols, Sebastien Sebastien.Cabaniols at compaq.com
Mon Feb 12 00:07:28 PST 2001

		-----Original Message-----
		From:	mello [mailto:mello at msg.ucsf.edu]
		Sent:	samedi 10 février 2001 07:27
		To:	beowulf at beowulf.org
		Subject:	Terrible disk i/o on Compaq DS10L

		Hello:

		We have a problem here. Our new beowulf is a rack of Compaq
DS10L 600
		mhz alphas with ide drives. We're running Red Hat 6.2.  The
problem is
		that we can only get ~2.5 mbytes/second disk i/o - as
reported by hdparm
		-tT .  This has been fairly common with our intel systems
but I could
		always adjust the hdparm parameters and do much better.
		( 10 - 25 mbyte/sec depending on the drive ) With these
machines no
		parameters have any effect.

		Has anyone else seen this problem? Does anyone have a fix
that doesn't
		involve SCSI?

		Thanks... mel jones

	The Ali chipset need a patch to be well driven an get the maximum
perfs:

	You have at least two solutions:

	1) You upgrade to Suse whatever version bigger than 6.3

	2) You download a kernel >= 2.2.16 and patch it with patches found
on www.linux-ide.org <http://www.linux-ide.org>  and add the ali M15x3
support

	Remark: Redhat does not include the patch even in 7.0

	Have a nice day

		To change your subscription (digest mode or unsubscribe)