Gigabit (1000base-T) NIC performance?

John Connett jrc at
Thu Feb 8 07:16:24 PST 2001

Apologies if this is slightly off topic.  However, I suspect some that
follow this list may be able to point me to further information.

I have just started looking into using Gigabit (1000base-T) Ethernet
with Linux.  Initial investigation suggests that there is quite a wide
price range for NICs ($105 - $650).  Are there any public performance
comparisons between such NICs?  I would be interested to know if the
higher priced items produce better performance!

Any pointers to further information in this area would be gratfully

Thanks in anticipation
John Connett (jrc at