diskless nodes? (was Re: Xbox clusters?)

Greg Lindahl lindahl at conservativecomputer.com
Fri Dec 7 08:46:27 PST 2001

On Fri, Dec 07, 2001 at 04:26:37AM -0500, Velocet wrote:

> It is a black and white choice "disk or not to disk" and people
> decide one way or the other, and I am wondering what makes them
> decide. I have information which indicates that for the parameters
> on the systems I setup it works quite well. I need someone to point
> out to me where my reasons are just dead wrong,

And that's part of your mistake: nobody says your reasons are dead
wrong for your sitation. The example someone gave you was a different
situation, where local scratch disk is very useful.

There is a place where you're dead wrong, and that's assuming that
administering N separate system disks has to be hard. People who have
N separate disks have usually developed tools to make keeping them in
synch easier.

greg