Scratch partition...

Geraldo Pereira de Souza geraldo at
Fri Dec 7 11:24:25 PST 2001

Starling describe how to build a beowulf system using some PC´s.
I´m based in the tutorial to construct a beowulf system with 8 Pcs. Starling describe in the tutorial the the configuration of the nodes to export the filesytem.
In a point he say:

"We decided to export scratch partition from all nodes and use autofs to mount these from any node upon rquest. Our exports file looks like:
/scratch n???,no_root_squash)"

I´m new with administration of linux, but my question is: What is scratch partition?
Must i create the directory /scratch ?

Geraldo Pereira de Souza (geraldo at
Laboratório de Sistemas Integrados e Concorrentes - LAICO
Universidade de Brasília - UNB