Question about clusters

G. Ralph Kuntz, MD grk at
Thu Apr 26 13:28:10 PDT 2001

I am considering setting up a linux cluster for our high-availability web
application server. Our application (an electronic medical record system)
requires three types of nodes--Apache nodes, Database nodes running
PostgreSQL, and file server nodes. I was considering a Beowulf or Mosix
cluster for this. With a cluster, I could monitor the idle-times and add
appropriate nodes when each type becomes saturated. I can also upgrade
software, do backups, etc. from one central point. I also get the benefit
of the increased security of have my data behind a firewall (the master

-- Is this an appropriate use of clustering technology?

-- How do I have Apache listen to ports 80/443 from behind the master

Thanks, Ralph