Debian vs RedHat config question.

Velocet math at velocet.ca
Sat Apr 21 09:12:12 PDT 2001

On Sat, Apr 21, 2001 at 10:30:02AM -0400, lowther at att.net's all...
> Georgia Southern Beowulf Cluster Project wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > I've been using RedHat 6.2 of the past year to build clusters and tinker
> > with.  Recently I've taken the plunge into Debian (Potato-2.2r3) world and I
> > find that some of the configuration is good bit different.  In particular,
> > I'm looking for an analogy in Debian.  In RedHat 6.2 (it may be different in
> > 7.x), there is a file "/etc/sysconfig/static-routes" that helps bring up the
> > network routing very cleanly.
>
> I've just started playing with Debian myself.  Usually Debian won't
> install packages unless you ask for them specifically.  What kind of
> network setup do you have?  Do you want to have DHCP with static
> routes?  It wouldn't be a 'standard' install.  You have to add the
> package.

At risk of being rude, the details of debian installations and configurations
should probably be moved onto debian lists. There are tons of archived
mailing lists no doubt answering your questions, as well as FAQs. And if
you're impatient, irc.debian.org #debian can work too.

I'd expect debian-oriented conversations here to cover topics related
to beowulf clusters instead.

For eg, since debian 2.2 doenst have glibc2.2, is it alot slower than
redhat 7? Has anyone tried out progeny debian? (It supposedly has
glibc2.2).

/kc