netgear gigabit tuning

Chris Black cblack at eragen.com
Tue Apr 17 09:06:48 PDT 2001

On Tue, Apr 17, 2001 at 12:32:42PM +0200, Felix Rauch wrote:
> It might well be that your reached the maximum performance for your
> processor / memory / CPU / OS setup. With our Hamachi GNIC-II Gigabit
> Ethernet cards we reached about 40 MB/s on 400 MHz/PIII and 2.2.x
> kernels. The same cards achieve over 100 MB/s with our new 1 GHz/PIII
> machines and a linux 2.4.3 kernel.
>
> AFAIK the 2.4.x kernels have a better TCP/IP stack so you might want
> to check out newer kernel if you are still using 2.2.x.
Thanks for the tip and the numbers! People here are still a bit reluctant to
run 2.4.x kernels on production machines, how is it working for you other
than the gigabit/tcp stuff? I am running on dual p3 800s on one machine, but
have the card in a 32-bit PCI slot which I would guess could make a
difference :)

Anyway, thanks for the info,
Chris