What do you guys thing about the P4

Greg Lindahl lindahl at conservativecomputer.com
Sat Apr 14 14:43:06 PDT 2001

On Sat, Apr 14, 2001 at 02:03:47PM -0700, Phillip D. Matz wrote:

> Since most people building Beowulfs are doing so to achieve some set of
> performance goals - what does the cpu throttling do to a P4-equipped
> cluster's performance?

That's a good question. From looking at the SPEC2000fp details, it
seems that the board used to run the benchmark was one that they're
selling to OEMs, so I suspect it was throttled.

Like most people, I really don't care about the details as long as I'm
not misled. If throttling has a significant impact on performance,
then presumably people will offer systems for sale with bigger
heatsinks and the throttling disabled.

-- greg