Version of gmake for clusters...

Andreas Boklund andreas at amy.udd.htu.se
Thu Apr 12 01:32:42 PDT 2001

Well im also interested in a distributed compiler for scyld.
Since a part of my masters degree kind of needs one. So have
any done a port of gmake to use rfork's instead of forks (yeah i know
thats too simplified).

I have been running a few tests with mosix and their MPmake that was
developed together with EMC.

The setup was 1-10 Machines running a mosix patched Redhat 6.2
installation. The sourcetree was placed on a NFS volume that the
head node shared with the rest of the nodes. All computers had
Pentium III 500 processors, 128MB ram and they were interconnected by
FastEtherenet, through a Cisco switch.

Number of	  time		Did they fill the
computers	minutes		head's NIC
1		5.58		no
3		2.59		no
5		3.30		yes
7		3.10		yes
9		2.30		yes
If anyone have any ideas on why the numbers are so irregular,
i would like to hear your theories.

I did run the test several times and these are the median values.

Best Regards
//Andreas

*   Administator of Amy and Sfinx(Iris23)               *
*   Voice: 070-7294401                                  *
*   ICQ: 12030399                                       *
*   Email: andreas at shtu.htu.se, boklund at linux.nu        *
*   That is how you find me, How do -I- find you ?      *