Node cloning

Giovanni Scalmani Giovanni at lsdm.dichi.unina.it
Thu Apr 5 08:46:59 PDT 2001

Hi!

On Thu, 5 Apr 2001, Oscar Roberto [iso-8859-1] López Bonilla wrote:

> And then use the command (this will take long, so you can do it overnight)
>          cp /dev/hda /dev/hdb ; cp /dev/hda /dev/hdc ; cp /dev/hda /dev/hdd

  I also did this way for my cluster, BUT I've experienced instability
for some nodes (3/4 over 20). My guess was that "cp /dev/hda /dev/hdb"
copied also the bad-blocks list of hda onto hdb and this looks wrong
to me. So I partitioned and made the filesystems on each node and then
cloned the content of each filesystem. Those nodes are now stable.

A question to the 'cp gurus' out there: is my guess correct about
the bad blocks list?

Regard,
Giovanni

Giovanni Scalmani                         Giovanni at lsdm.dichi.unina.it
L.S.D.M. - Laboratorio di Struttura e Dinamica Molecolare
           Molecular Structure and Dynamics Group
Dipartimento di Chimica / Chemistry Department
Universita' di Napoli "Federico II"
Complesso Universitario di Monte S.Angelo        Phone: +39 081 674205
Via Cintia - I-80126 Napoli (Italy)                Fax: +39 081 674090