What is the best C IDE on Linux?

Jakob Østergaard jakob at unthought.net
Thu Apr 5 05:24:01 PDT 2001

On Wed, Apr 04, 2001 at 06:45:25PM -0400, Ahmed Masud wrote:

> Actually Xemacs is pretty good: it interfaces with make and the gnu
> debuggger very nicely (not that you'd need to debug anything ofcourse
> *grin*).  http://www.xemacs.org/ should have the latest binaries and
> sources.

The Emacs/XEmacs extension that does this is called "GUD", short for Grand
Unified Debugger.  The fun thing is, that "Gud" means "God" in Danish (my
mothertongue), so when code doesn't work I can always get help from "God".
This is one of the rare cases where asking god for help actually works right
away  :)

> Also if you are used to vi, you may consider vim.  It has syntax
> high-lighting and is fairly lean (xemacs tends to be a memory pig).

I guess what most newcomers find hard is that you are simply presented with
such an immense choice.  Which editor do you want ?  emacs, vi, joe, jed,
ed, vim, xemacs, elvis, ...  Which window-manager ?  sawmill, blackbox, twm,
enlightenment, afterstep, ...  Or maybe a desktop ?  KDE, Gnome, ...  Oh,
you need a shell to, like, bash, tcsh, zsh, ksh, ...  And of course a terminal
program for your X environment, like, xterm, rxvt, konsole, gnome-terminal, eterm, ...

Of course, you will find people who use any combination of the above mentioned,
and about a fantazillion other things I didn't even mention.

And there you are, coming right from windows with your _one_ editor,
practically no shell (and no tools that would make a shell useful), _one_
windowing environment.

How do you explain this to people ?  I mean, if they spend a year learning it,
the utter coolness and usefullnes of choice will be clear to them, but it can
be hard at times to convince people that learning pays off.

:   jakob at unthought.net   : And I see the elder races,         :
:.........................: putrid forms of man                :
:   Jakob Østergaard      : See him rise and claim the earth,  :
:        OZ9ABN           : his downfall is at hand.           :