freezing system state

Mike Davis mdavis at
Thu Sep 14 09:49:51 PDT 2000

Quoting Eugene Leitl <eugene.leitl at>:

> Can anyone point me towards information how I can snapshot the entire
> system state to hard drive, and have an option to restore it at boot
> time?

Is there any OS that can store the state on the H/d? I would've thought this would be incredibly
difficult, as you'd have to store everything including CPU registers, peripheral state, PCI/AGP/ISA
processor state (??) etc and then do a memory dump (writing to disk, thus altering the system state)...
sounds like something the hardware would have to do...

> If Linux can't do that yet, are there plans for putting support for
> suspend state into it?
I think APM already does...