xdlutime results

Susan Blackford susan at cs.utk.edu
Thu Sep 14 05:56:42 PDT 2000

Hi,
The value of TOTMEM reflects the amount of physical memory you have on
your machine.  The default value in the distribution is 2M.  We put the
value small because a lot of people tested spawning multiple processes
per processor.

*  TOTMEM   INTEGER, default = 2000000
*           TOTMEM is a machine-specific parameter indicating the
*           maximum amount of available memory in bytes.
*           The user should customize TOTMEM to his platform.  Remember
*           to leave room in memory for the operating system, the BLACS
*           buffer, etc.  For example, on a system with 8 MB of memory
*           per process (e.g., one processor on an Intel iPSC/860), the
*           parameters we use are TOTMEM=6200000 (leaving 1.8 MB for OS,
*           code, BLACS buffer, etc).  However, for PVM, we usually set
*           TOTMEM = 2000000.  Some experimenting with the maximum value
*           of TOTMEM may be required.

However, depending upon the size of matrix you want to time and the
amount of memory you have on your machine, this value will need to be
increased.  The program will test the amount of memory needed for the
size N that you request, and if TOTMEM isn't large enough, it will
tell you.

Hope this helps.
Susan