fortran compiler

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Fri Oct 27 15:36:10 PDT 2000

On Thu, 26 Oct 2000, Zubin wrote:

> Can anyone recommend a good fortran compiler for a beowulf cluster?  Absoft,
> Portland Group?  They both offer cluster solutions also, anyone have
> comments?

They're both decent from my limited experiments and feedback from folks
here that use Fortran. I'd have to rank Portland a bit over Absoft, but
I don't use Fortran any more myself (unless someone straps a small
nuclear device to my children and threatens me with detonation) so this
on the fuzziest of bases.

One remark of interest is that I had a hard time compiling ATLAS with
EITHER of them.  ATLAS seems to really want g77, of all things.  Don't
ask me why.  If I were a more regular fortran user (instead of having
last willingly used fortran back when it was fortran IV and I hadn't yet
discovered C) perhaps I could have made either of them work, but...

I'd talk to Paralogic.  They are moderately engaged with Fortran and
associated tools and probably can give you very good advice.

    rgb

Duke University Dept. of Physics, Box 90305
Durham, N.C. 27708-0305
Phone: 1-919-660-2567  Fax: 919-660-2525     email:rgb at phy.duke.edu